Building A Tax Practice
Strategies and Tips on Building a Successful Accounting and Tax Practice
NOTE: This course is included as part of a subscription to the Tax Bytes Practice Mentor monthly newsletter and training here at Canadian Tax Academy. If you subscribe to the newsletter, this course will be included free of charge as part of your subscription.
Are you considering getting into the world of tax preparation and accounting? Maybe you are an accountant working in industry and considering a move into public practice. Or perhaps you just want to make some extra money working on the side helping clients by doing personal and corporate tax work.
If you are, then this course will help you grow your practice and client base. Not only that, it will give you some advice and guidance on the types of clients to pursue … and those to avoid.
Believe me, I wish someone had compiled information like this in a course format and guided me when I first started out. It would have saved me HUNDREDS of hours of time and THOUSANDS of dollars on marketing ideas and concepts that just don’t work in the accounting context.
These are the candid concepts, strategies and ideas they do not teach you anywhere else. I have compiled the tactics and strategies in this course over 20+ years of running and growing an accounting practice.
Here is what you will learn:
- How to build a valuable tax practice rather than an accounting and tax job where you’ll be working for countless hours and reaping little rewards.
- Finding the right type of clients and avoid the problem ones – Should you take on that client with 5 years of personal tax returns? How about 5 years of corporate tax returns? … I’ll give you my input so you can decide and know what you will be getting into if you do.
- How to leverage your time and build a referral marketing machine … and no, it’s not some multi-level marketing scheme or plan. You’ll learn how to build a motivated sales team that won’t cost you a dime in payroll or expensive consulting/commission fees.
- Once those clients start rolling in, you will need to understand how to price your services so that you get compensated appropriately for your expertise. I will provide you with my advice on pricing your personal and corporate tax services. Learn from my mistakes (and the missteps of countless other accountants) by implementing all or a few of these pricing concepts and tactics.
- Hire the right staff by applying a completely “outside-the-box approach” to the hiring process. By far the biggest mistake most new practitioners make is not having staff from the get-go and hiring the wrong people. This unit will help you avoid both mistakes
- Avoid using a boiler-plate web template that clients don’t pay attention to and don’t understand. Put everything in this course together to create an effective web page that will help drive referrals and new clients.
This course is over 6 hours in length and will provide you with lifetime access if you purchase it (or access for as long as you are a subscriber to the monthly Tax Bytes Practice Mentor)
Ian DINovo is a professional accountant and Director of the Canadian Tax Academy. He has been practicing accounting and offering independent financial and business advice for over 15 years.
He is the creator of a number of courses dealing with business, tax and investment matters that are designed to make difficult topics easy to understand for everyone.
PreviewIntroduction to Building a Tax Practice - Outline of course curriculum (4:41)
StartApproaches to building a succesful tax business (9:06)
StartThe difference between building a business with value and a job (6:57)
StartThe 2 books as a foundation for building a business (4:40)
StartHow building a business will benefit you when it's time to sell your practice (4:55)
StartFinding the right clients - effect on your practice and how to build a business (4:22)
StartThe 80/20 rule applies to clients - do not accept everyone (7:06)
StartI haven't filed my personal returns for 5 years - can you help (6:50)
StartI haven't filed my corporate returns for 5 years - can you help (4:01)
StartThe most effective way to grow your business (9:39)
StartBuild your client profile and apply it to all new clients (8:06)